Then came the opportunity for a "quick tidy-up respray".
I cant believe it been two years since I posted the pics above!
Here are some pictures of the cut and shut I did with the notorious heater bubble.
This job took me about a year to complete as I only had Saturdays to work on it.
The car remained on the road (went through a winter with no heater) and I drove her to work every day during the week.
With the heater bubble area done, next was a couple of other rusty areas in the engine bay - around the driver's side strut turret and under the driver's side bonnet hinge bracket.
There was a rust hole just next to the strut turret reinforcement plate. I ended up having to drill out some of the spot welds on the plate and roll it back to reveal the full extent of the rust. Then grinding back to fresh metal actually revealed a small hole in the cup which houses the strut top mount.
As always, the time consuming process of cleaning the area back to shiny, bare, rust free metal was next. Lots of phosphoric acid, scratching and scraping to get right into all of the pits in the steel. I got carried away and forgot to take a photo of the bare steel but in this photo of the primed area, you can see the filled hole in the top mount retainer cup.
Then came the repair under and around the bonnet hinge bracket.
As with the strut turret, there are three layers of steel here. I just had to start cutting to figure out how the factory put it together and then come up with a plan. The inner wing is first, followed by the fire wall folded over the top and thirdly the steel that spans the top rear of the engine bay (with the heater bubble). Actually, there is a fourth layer! The bonnet hinge bracket.
This photo shows the makeshift bracket I bolted on as a temporary mount for the bonnet hinge so I could still drive the car.
It also shows some of the fresh steel already welded in (got carried away again). The dotted red line is just for the purposes of the photo to show where the weld took place.
For some reason I forgot to take a photo of the bracket back in place and the area finished. But you know how it should look
Then came the time to tie it all together and finish off the engine bay (at least around the top)
So that's my engine bay start to finish. Hope you enjoyed it and perhaps even find it helpful on your resto project.
Most Users Ever Online: 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
James N: 26
cullen garrick: 4
jarod argent: 2
TD Matt: 1
Soul Sye: 1
John W: 1
Guest Posters: 0
Newest Members: jacquelinearmer, GoodvinchumB, suzanna08t, Yulyaa, Stanislawa, Charlesfraup, fosterlapine7, Robertpab, TysonNon, Williamgilia
Moderators: Dawid: 32, President: 1, Oysta: 2
Administrators: admin: 1